One Day at a Time

Jade RIP 2000 - Oct 22, 2011

It’s been a while since I’ve posted here–I’ve been going through a difficult time and writing… well, I just didn’t feel like it.It all started about four weeks ago when I heard the sound of water gushing through the walls. Not unusual, I live in a lower unit of a condo and often hear water flowing from upstairs. The sheer volume of it and the length of time did seem odd, however there were no signs of a problem so I dismissed it as a freak occurrence (or a really long shower) and forgot about it. An hour later our home was flooded. Water poured from the electrical sockets and down the walls.

The following day workers came to fix the damage. In order to dry everything, the temperature was kept at 88 degrees (way too warm when the temperature outside was 90 degrees) and industrial fans blew loud and constant. Needless to say, we had to leave the house and so began our (along with our two dogs and two birds) three week odyssey at the Quality Inn (see Life’s Ups & Downs and A Room With Many Views).

Finally, after three weeks, we were able to come home and one of my little birds (Jade) got sick. We took her to the vet who gave her some medicine for her heart and respiratory system. He couldn’t take any tests to find out what was really wrong with her because she was too weak and he thought any tests would kill her. She appeared to be doing better, though not much. That evening, I took her out of the little travel carrier she was staying in to give her her medicine. I saw that her cere had turned a hideous shade of purple and feared she might not make it through the night. The next morning, I saw her on the bottom of her crate, not breathing. I didn’t want to believe she was dead, but when I reached in and picked up her lifeless body, I knew it was true.

I’ve had her and her friend (Socs) for over 10 years. I still expect to see her fluttering around the cage whenever I come home. Socs is doing well though he seems to miss her most when I put him to bed. They always used to fight before bed and he looks around for her then–looking for someone to fight.

Now, a week after her passing, I finally feel able to start writing again. I still miss her terribly, but life goes on and I’m just grateful for the time I had with her.


About T. R. Kolbe

I have been writing since July 2010. I wrote one novel although I haven't finished editing it and I don't know that I will. I have also completed 3 short stories and have 3 more that I am working on.
This entry was posted in Life, Musings, Writing and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to One Day at a Time

  1. Pingback: Taking Time Off | T.R.'s Musings

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s