Running–Starting Over Part 2

Running with Ela

My first four weeks of running could have gone better. At the same time they could have gone worse, so I guess I’m doing okay. The first week was the best. I ran 3 times that week and made significant progress by the end of the week. I could run without using my asthma inhaler and I was running more than walking. My legs were really sore, but I could still move.

The second week I decided to try out my barefoot running shoes. I had purchased these about a year ago in hopes of running then, but I never got around to it. These shoes were great! I was able to run further than the week before and didn’t feel so weighed down. Unfortunately, I wasn’t prepared for how much more these work the calf muscle than regular shoes. For two days I could barely walk, much less run. It took another two days of hobbling around before I was able to run again.

We took the dogs with us for that run and when we were finishing up, we were accosted by two dogs–both off leash, their owner not anywhere in sight. I have a slight fear of larger dogs, especially when they are charging right at me. I was bitten by a German Shepherd when I was about three or four years old. I was running around my neighbors yard with their kids when their dog jumped me from behind and bit me in the shoulder.

These dogs seemed relatively friendly, though our dogs didn’t care. Our dogs are small (15 lbs–Tucker and 9 lbs–Ela), but Tucker will not hesitate to protect us if he thinks we’re in trouble. Tucker started barking viciously, so I grabbed him so the other two dogs didn’t try to attack him. He tried to get out of my grasp while still barking at the other two dogs who were scratching at my legs trying to get at him–whether to sniff him out or take a bite out of him I don’t know. I wanted to take off running, but that was how I got bit the first time. Finally I decided to try and calm Tucker down and the dogs finally left us alone. Thankfully, none of our other runs have held so much excitement.

The third week I threw my neck and upper back out. This had more to do with stress than running (I think), but I still couldn’t run for a few days. I could barely turn my head, but it’s happened more times than I can count, so I wasn’t too worried.

Now, here I am on the fourth week. The top of my foot hurts and it’s a little hard to walk, but the pain is subsiding. I think it may have come from wearing a new pair of shoes on a very rocky trail, but who knows. I tried to run again yesterday, but didn’t get very far. Yesterday was the first day I felt so frustrated that I considered quitting. The only thing that kept me going is knowing that I really do love running. That, and I have a 5K I want to do in March. Through all the aches and pains, I’m still enjoying myself (notwithstanding yesterday). Maybe I did too much too soon and should have eased myself into it better. I’m hopeful the pains will eventually go away. If not… well, I guess I’ll cross that bridge when I come to it.


About T. R. Kolbe

I have been writing since July 2010. I wrote one novel although I haven't finished editing it and I don't know that I will. I have also completed 3 short stories and have 3 more that I am working on.
This entry was posted in Running, Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s